Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Work is interfering with my reading

I used to be a stay-at-home mom with 2 kids. When my youngest was in 3rd grade I decided to finish my B.S. degree and after 6 years I ended up with a B.S. in computer science and mathematics (it nearly killed me). I immediately began a Software Test Engineer job which I loved. However, in December 2001 (right before Christmas) I was layed off and didn't find work again until March 2003. During that time I read a TON of books. Let me get out my spreadsheet... OK, I read 279 books, 222 just in 2002. Hey, no snarky remarks... I was looking for work... really...I kid you not. The whole software industry was in a slump.

Here it is August and my grand total is a measly 101 books. This working every day crap sucks. I need more time for reading! I have to remind myself that there are benefits to working. We were able to put both kids through college with no student loans and we paid off the mortgage. And I do like my job. I still have many more years of working ahead of me before I retire so I expect I'll be happy to get in maybe 125 books per year. That's still a lot of books.

No comments:

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...