Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Danielle Steele is a waste of book shelf space!

I promised myself that I would keep ranting to a minimum but I'm going to explode. My second favorite UBS (Half Price Books) has a whole section of Danielle Steele shelved with the romances. What's up with that? That is utter crap. I have read a couple of her books in the days when I hunted through library stacks looking for romance and they are NOT romance by any stretch of the imagination.

It just makes me furious because they have boxes of overflow all around the romance section for books they can't get on the shelves. I think a bunch of guys work at this place and of course they have HUGE sections of fantasy/horror/true crime/science fiction. And a big section of lit-tri-chur which is really just general fiction, baby. If fact, they stick all kinds of crap in romance that isn't. And Dean Koontz??? There's a shelf of those. Did/does he write romance? I doubt it.

OK, end ranting. Whew, I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky in that most of the UBS in my neck of the woods have HUGE romance sections. My favourite (an hour away so I don't make it there that often) has a whole room full of them, do when I do make it there I'm in romance book heaven.
And as for Danielle Steel - never read her/never will

Rosario said...

I'm lucky enough to have read, well, probably over 30 Danielle Steele books, so I can say with authority that they are crap ;-)

My mum used to read them, so I got to them when I raided her shelves. I really am lucky I wasn't scarred for life.

BTW, didn't Dean Koontz write romances under a female name? Deanna something? Or they might have been gothics, I don't know exactly.

Rosario said...

I googled it, because I'm anal that way, and Koontz did indeed write gothic romance under the name Deanna Dwyer!

ReneeW said...

Rosario - My sympathies, I only read about 3 DS before I started hurling them against the wall. I read a ton of gothic many years ago before I discovered romance and never ran across Dwyer. Still I don't think he deserves precious shelf space when I have to dig through piles of overflow boxes for the good stuff! (sorry, ranting again).

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...