Thursday, May 04, 2006

Oldies

I think I must be slightly nutty (there's a news flash) when I bid on this box of old romance books from ebay because it had one HTF collectible in the batch. My winning bid was a whole $2.24. See if you can spot it from this list.

Texas Kingdoms
- Robert W. Broomall (1989)
Prairie Flame - Jessica Howard (1983)
Torrents - Marie-Anne Desmarest (1977)
Moscow Mists - Clarissa Ross (1977)
Alyx - Lolah Burford (1977)
Blood Relations - Eilis Dillon (1979)
Daughters of the Summer Storm - Frances Patton Statham (1981)
Valley Forge - MacKinlay Kantor (1976)
Love's Scarlet Banner - Fiona Harrowe (1977)
Caresse - Pamela Wallace (1979)
Red Sky at Night Love's Delight - Jane-Aiken Hodge (1978)
Border Gentry - Nancy Sortore (1983)
The Golden Warrior - Hope Muntz (1970)
Wild Horizon - Evan Wyck Mason (1977)
The Burning Woman - Margaret Ritter (1979)
Southland - Amanda Carlisle (1982)
Knight's Keep - Rona Randall (1993)
Beloved Captive - Catherine Dillon (1979)
Fever Moon - Susanna Howe (1978)
Jamaica - Amanda Hart Douglass (1977)
Affinity - Katherine Hale (1979)
Dargonard - Rupert Gilchrist (1976)
The Liaison - Maria Matray & Answald Krueger (1975)
The Silver Devil - Teresa Denys (1978)
Zulu Warrior - Lou Cameron (1971)
Listen for Rachel - Lou Kassem (1996)
The Seventeenth Stair - Barbara Paul (1976)
Weep No More My Lady - Amanda Jean Jarrett (?)
Warwyck's Woman - Rosalind Laker (1983)
Wave of Destiny - Martha Melahn (1981)

What was surprising to me was how tame the covers are (could not find any images online and I don't have a scanner). No bare chested men, no women with their head thrown back at an awkward angle and their dress falling off.

Now what am I going to do with the rest of this collection? I'd be embarassed to donate them to the library used book sales or a nursing home because they are so freaking old. The ones that had ISBN numbers (about half) I listed on PBS but I don't expect any takers.

Suggestions?

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Hmmmm, push comes to shove you take them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. But if they're really that old - chances are they'll just end up in the dumpster. Might be worth it though just for the tax write-off.....

Rosario said...

Oh, I know, I know! The Silver Devil? I actually found a copy of this one in the lone Montevideo UBS which carried English books. Cost me about a dollar. I traded it for a few books, unread. Just didn't sound like my thing at all!

ReneeW said...

Wendy: I like that idea. Better than tossing them in the dumpster and getting nothing out of it and , man, I can use a tax write-off.

Rosario: Yup, you nailed it! You're probably right, but I wanted to find out what the fuss was about. Plus I can add it to my 'valuable' collection of Balogh traditional regencies. I plan to sell them all one day and retire :)

Kristie (J) said...

I've only read one of those - Alyx which was a very.....disturbing book. I've never even heard of the rest. So I don't have any ideas what to do with them.

CindyS said...

I have that book on my wish list. I didn't even know it was that old!! I think I better remove it ;)

You'll have to tell us what you think.

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Kristie: I read one Burford and it was also very disturbing so I have no desire to read Alyx.

Keishon: I just had to get it because it was so cheap and I have seen prices for it about $20 - $30 and more. It's like buying an antique. :) I've heard good and bad about it, so I'll try reading it.

CindyS: I'll let you know if I ever get around to it.

sybil said...

ohhhh old romance novels

off to look them up...

and I guessed The Silver Devil - Teresa Denys but Ro. beat me to it ;). I agree, you couldn't pay me to read that.

Unknown said...

what did you end up doing with the books? do you still have the silver devil by teresa denys? or were you able to sell it?

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...