Thursday, May 25, 2006

May TBR Challenge

Lovelace writes the best military themed romantic suspense. So when AngieW announced that the May TBR Challenge was to read a military/police themed book in honor of Memorial Day, I immediately dug this one out from the depths of my TBR.

Title: Duty and Dishonor

Author: Merline Lovelace

Year published: 1997

Date purchased: 03/24/2004

Why did you get this book? I have read several of Lovelace's books and I find her pretty consistent. As a former military officer in the Air Force, she really knows her stuff.

Do you like the cover? It's okay, no nonsense.

Did you enjoy the book? Very much. The murder mystery was gripping and the flashbacks to the war in Vietnam in 1972 were so realistic that I'm guessing that Lovelace was actually there. Or else she did her homework. Update: I just checked out her bio and she was there in 1972. That explains why it felt so authentic.

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again? No, not new to me. I have several of her books in my keepers and some on my wishlist.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Trading. There wasn't quite enough romance in DAD to please me since it focused more on the murder mystery. The romance only came into play in the last 1/4 of the book although it was well done with some nice love scenes. The first half of the book was mainly devoted to flashbacks to Vietnam with little time spent in the present. The H/H fell into bed rather too quickly after that and I didn't get the sense that they were that attracted to each other, then, wham, they're in bed together. Could have had a bit more getting to know each other.

Anything else? Despite the negatives I mentioned above, I did enjoy it. The mystery aspect was so well done that I had a hard time putting it down. And it had just enough romance to be passable.

My grade: B

No comments:

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...