Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Flash from the Past

Oh.My.God. I'm freaking out here. I just ran to the grocery store on my lunch hour to pick up stuff for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow at my brother's. I was standing in line at a check stand when I look up and noticed the checker! AAAAACCKK, it's my old boyfriend from high school! He had quite a bit less hair and quite a bit more belly, so I checked the name badge. Yup, it was him.

So I'm thinking what do I do? I don't like surprises like that. My immediate thought was to change to another checkstand but at that point I was the only one in line and I thought that was too obvious. I know you all think I am chicken and you'd be right. Fortunately, just when I was trying to decide if I should pretend if I knew him or not, the checker next aisle over rescued me and carted my stuff off. While she is ringing up the bill I'm peaking over.. yup, yup, that's him. So I made it out of there without speaking to him.

And the memories are flooding back. He's the guy who showed me how much fun it is to snuggle two in a sleeping bag :) (OK, get you mind out of the gutter, I was only 15, and nothing happened... well, almost. He was a very good kisser ;)

Now that I'm prepared, I think I'll go back next week and say hi (pretending surprise at finding him there). Yeah, I know, I haven't matured much since I was a teenager.

Happy Thanksgiving! I love Thanksgiving. A national holiday devoted to eating plus a four day week end. I'm very lucky because my family is wonderful. We get along great and we all live within 20 miles of each other. My two sisters, one brother, their spouses, and kids with their girlfriends and boyfriends, and my dad and his girlfriend (love her) will all be there (about 17 of us). We laugh, joke, tease, and torment each other in good fun. After dinner we clean up then sit around the dining room table and play dice, or cards, or a game. The party usually breaks up around midnight when we all cart ourselves and the leftovers home. We all take turns hosting the big dinner and making the turkey, with everyone else chipping in the rest of the food. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

CindyS said...

Awww! Have a great time at your families.

And if it is any consolation. I wouldn't have approached him either. (Especially if it was my ex) I saw my ex once while skating with my husband and I didn't say a word. I pointed him out to my husband but that was it. I just remember feeling very blessed to be with someone like Bob and not with someone like him.

It's good though that you have happy memories of your ex.

CindyS

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...