Saturday, July 23, 2005

Two Brockmann's


Just finished Everday, Average Jones and Over the Edge by Suzanne Brockmann. EAJ is a SIM series romance, the fourth book in her Tall, Dark and Dangerous series. Melody Evans is one of three hostages in an American embassy in some unnamed foreign country when she is rescued by Harlan "Cowboy" Jones and the rest of his Navy SEAL team. They have a steamy six day affair in Paris after which Melody says goodbye without looking back. But Harlan can't stop thinking about her so seven months later he contacts her. She doesn't want to see him, but he is persistent and eventually locates her in the small town of Appleton. And low and behold, he finds out she is pregnant.

This is where I got really annoyed. One of my pet peeves is women who find out they are pregnant and never contact the guy. She is going to be all brave and strong and have this baby on her own. He has a right to know! But as the story goes on I begin to see her point. I think a Navy SEAL would make a lousy husband to tell the truth. They have to pick up and leave at a moments notice, can't tell you where they are going, can't contact them, and they may be gone for weeks even months. My husband traveled for a job once and every time he was gone that's when the worst things would happen (problems with car or sick kids). "Cowboy" is very hard to get rid of and he sticks around trying to convince her what a good husband and father he will make and they fall in love. Melody seemed to take too long to come around and I wanted to shake her sometimes. But I really enjoyed this book in spite of her stubborness mainly because Cowboy is a wonderful hero.

My grade: B

Review of Over the Edge to follow.

No comments:

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...