Sunday, November 19, 2006

Perfect Weapon by Amy Fetzer

I love a good romantic suspense as long as there is a minimum of blood and torture of women, children and animals. OK, so sue me, I'm picky. Also, I don't want to get inside the mind of a sick serial killer. I always skim over stuff like that.

Anyway, I have heard good things about Amy Fetzer and thought I would give her a try so PW was my first attempt and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dr. Sydney Hale is a scientist working on an antidote to the deadly sarin nerve gas in a underground government lab when they are attacked by terrorists and she barely escapes with her life. Captain Jack Wilson and three of his fellow Marines are working on a job for the department of Fish and Game and unwittingly get caught in the crossfire. When his three buddies are brutally murdered Jack is determined to discover who did this, and figures out that Dr. Hale is the key so he kidnaps her from under the nose of the NSA who are supposed to be keeping her safe.

What follows is an action packed, nail biting plot that kept me on the edge of my seat. However, my biggest complaint was that the plot was somewhat convoluted and confusing. There were several plot threads running though it with numerous scene breaks involving characters that were not set up and explained so I had no idea who these characters were which drives me crazy. Eventually, I thought "f*ck it" and quit trying to mentally organize and figure out who the characters where and just let their names flow over the top of my head, figuring all would be explained later. Which they were. If you concentrate mainly on the H/H, then you should be fine.

Jack and Sydney team up to solve who is behind the terrorist attack and figure out the government traitor. They were an engaging couple whose attraction for each other sparked plenty of sexual tension. Jack was a yummy hero suffering a fair amount of angst and grief over the loss of his buddies. Sydney was a strong, admirable heroine and was a complex character. Sometimes I get tired of this plot line.... h/h on the run for their life, trying to solve a mystery, having lots of hot sizzling sex. But Fetzer does it very well in PW. A very enjoyable read I highly recommend. I definitely want to try another by her.

My grade: B+

5 comments:

Kyahgirl said...

Hi Renée. Its nice to see you getting a break from the work house.

I've never read anything by Fetzer but will take a look at the library. This sounds pretty good. I'm enjoying romantic suspense these days. :-)

ReneeW said...

Kyahgirl: I've been walking around all day thinking I was SOOO glad I didn't have to go into work today. If you like RS you should try this one.

Noneya said...

Sometimes I say more than f*ck it when authors pull that crap...I just toss the book. If I can't follow along with my feeble mind, its just not worth it some days.

Like JR Ward...I will skim over the Lesser stuff b/c I don't think it ads much to the plot. Perhaps in the future books it will..but so far, not much, IMO.
Great review. Thanks!
Sandie

Rowena said...

Hey Rene...this book looks pretty good, I'm gonna have to read it, I've been thinking of putting away some paranormals for a later day and pick up a romantic suspense...too many books to choose from though, this was a good review!

ReneeW said...

Sandie: The only reason I didn't toss the book was that the main plot with the H/H was very very good. I tend to skip over the Lesser stuff too for that same reason.

Dylana: I read more RS than paranormal. I have to be in the right mood to read a paranormal and that doesn't happen too often.

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...