Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Into the Night by Suzanne Brockmann

Into the Night is the 5th book in the Troubleshooters series and I liked it the least of all I have read so far. I was expecting another romantic suspense. It was not romantic suspense. The majority of the book featured three couples and their stories. Several other characters from past Troubleshooter books also made an appearance. The three main couples are:

Mike Muldoon & Joan DaCosta
Sam & Mary Lou Starrett
Vince & Charlie DaCosta (Joan's grandparents)

Mike and Joan's story was a younger man/older woman story which I usually love. I loved Mike, but Joan went through too much angst over whether she should get involved with a younger man. Couple that with her smart mouth and I wanted to slap her upside the head! The story of Vince and Charlie was told through flashbacks and present day accounts and I enjoyed it.
The worst part of this book was Sam. He was a complete SOB and if Brockmann had killed him off I would have applauded! He was a lousy husband and a lousy father, complete anti-hero material. I know he is supposed to be a hero in the next book in the series but I'm going to have to cool down a bit before I read it. I know I have read that many readers didn't like Mary Lou, but I liked her. She was a flawed human being but she was a good mother and was trying to create a good home, so I give her points for that.

For those looking for romantic suspense, there is a short tacked-on, insignificant story at the end where terrorists are trying to assassinate the president. My thought was "why bother?" ITN is a contemporary romance with a little dab of suspense. I recommend giving it a pass.

My Grade: C-

Next book is Gone Too Far.

No comments:

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...