Sunday, June 14, 2009

New toys

Haven't heard back about the job I interviewed for but I'm assuming I didn't get it. I'm signed up for Summer quarter at Bellevue College for the training program I wanted but I had to apply for CAT to get approval since I am currently receiving unemployment compensation. They will make the decision soon (I hope) whether I can take the classes and continue to receive my current UC. If they don't approve then I have to cancel my registration.

Meanwhile I went shopping... no, not books although I have a $50 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble burning a hole in my pocket. No, what I really needed was some new toys. My PDA (an HP ipaq 2215) died taking with it all of my contacts (not backed up) and appointments and my ebooks. I do have the backups for the ebooks on my desktop so that's OK. But I really miss my contacts. So I ordered a new one, an HP ipaq 111, and it just came yesterday. This one has a wireless driver so I can connect to the internet and read email and stuff (which my old one didn't have). I think it has GPS (but I haven't played around with that yet). It's thinner too and lightweight, easy to carry in my purse.

Last month Bob and I bought new cell phones. If I had known my PDA was about to die, I probably would have bought a fancier model, a SmartPhone or a Blackberry or something that would do the same stuff but I love this PDA.








Last but not least, I bought a new laptop computer at Costco last Thursday... an HP G60. It had a great price and it's a 16" screen. It has Windows Vista which I have never used before so it taking some adjusting. Oh, and it has a webcam. How do you use that thing? I'm pretty geeky but I'm too lazy to figure it out yet. But I LOVE having my own laptop. Bob and I were sharing his and it was a constant battle.

Reading Now: Silver Falls by Anne Stuart... and it has a pretty creepy beginning. I really have this urge to peek at the ending for some reason but I trying hard to resist. I'm only on page 16.

4 comments:

nath said...

Oh, so many nice toys!! :) Hmmm, I didn't think of going to Best Buy to buy a laptop... Will have to keep that in mind.

The webcam is pretty easy to use if it's already integrated. All you have to do is find a way to chat/instant message with someone, eg: MSN or gmail chat... then, it'll have an option (either in Option or Tool) to add video and audio. All you need to do is follow the steps so that the instant messenger program can detect your webcam. After that, when you chat with someone, you can video call them instead.

ReneeW said...

Ooo cool. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tips.

Leslie said...

I got the same laptop about a week ago. The old one died - it was 6 yrs old and barely hanging on. I can't believe how quiet and light weight the new one is.

Good luck with getting the classes. :)

CindyS said...

I hope UC comes through for you!

And WOW - I think you just had a Renee week ;)

I can't read Silver Falls yet because I have to finish the book I'm reading and well, it's summer and ohhhh, shiny!

CindyS

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...