Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wedding update #2


Well, the date is set (July 19, 2008) and a few plans are in progress, but Daughter is looking for a full time job (human resourses - entry level) so has been putting all her energies into job hunting and doesn't have much time for wedding planning.

She decided to give out little jars of homemade strawberry jam as the wedding favor. Wow, what a lot of work that was! I tried to warn her but I'm trying not to be a bossy mother-of-the-bride so I want to be supportive and helpful where I can. It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut, believe me. :)

One Saturday in June we drove over to Remlinger Farms in Carnation and bought 6 giant flats of strawberries that were just picked out of their fields. They were fabulous - dark red, juicy and sweet. Don't even need sugar on them. Not like those hard sour strawberries you get in the store. Have you ever made 200 (4-oz) jars of jam? You need about 30 pounds of sugar and it takes TWELVE batches. We were at it until around midnight. The jam turned out wonderful but now she wants to cut out red-checked fabrics circles to put on the lid and tie with a ribbon. We bought the fabric and ribbon last weekend but I'm too exhausted to think about cutting out 200 circles with pinking shears. We decided to enlist the aid of her future mother-in-law and sister-in-law. Probably wait till fall to get it finished. Wait I think I have a picture of of making jam somewhere..... here it is (Bob cut off our heads). This was taken at about midnight. Warning: don't blow up that picture, the bags under my eyes will scare you. Daughter is cute... me not so much.




Here's finished product:



Only 199 more circles to cut out!

She also made arrangements for the wedding cake. Her husband-to-be owns a marshal arts studio and one of his students does wedding cakes and offered to do her cake in exchange for free lessons. That saves Daughter about $800 in her budget. Woohoo! I didn't see the lady's cake photos but Daughter said they were beautiful.

Next weekend I'm having an Engagement Party to introduce the two families to each other. A backyard barbeque. It better not rain! We have had two weeks of rain and my beautiful baskets and pots of flowers look waterlogged. There will be about 20 people and I'm providing all the food and drinks. Which reminds me I better get off my duff away from the computer and get to Costco and the grocery store. Plus I have cleaning to do. *sigh* I'm tired already just thinking about it.

6 comments:

Rosie said...

What a great idea and the guests will be thinking about the wedding couple every time they use the jam. Very nice and great presentation.

While you have your engagement party next weekend my husbands Dad and his wife will be here. So, I've got shopping, cooking and cleaning to do too. It's gonna be a busy week.

Kristie (J) said...

What a cute gift to give out. I love it!!
And I blew up the picture anyway *g* and the two of you both look so cute making jam.

Gigi said...

Making tons jam with your baby. How sweet! And the favor looks fabulous.

ReneeW said...

Rosie: It is a great idea but a lot of work. I sort of like getting company sometimes because it forces me to do the real deep cleaning I away put off. But then it's also exhausting.

Kristie: Thanks! Wow, was I tired at that point.

Giselle: Yeah, my baby. She sure grew up fast. Where did the time go?

CindyS said...

What a fantastic gift! I love strawberry jam and it's all I can do to pry a jar out of my mom's hands. I've never learned how to do it because I become overly obsessed about lids not seating properly and then I think about spoilage and I'm lazy ;)

Your daughter is so pretty and you look beautiful although I'm thinking those smiles were just a touch forced as in 'take the picture already!'.

Good news on the cake front and at least you have the favours out of the way. The more you guys can get done now the less you'll have to worry closer to the day.

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Cindy: LOL, you have it right about the picture. That's exactly what I was thinking. I have a few extra jars of jam. I wish I could send you one. Hmmm, have to look into the rules about sending stuff to Canada. Yeah, the cake is done, one more thing to check of her list.

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...