Sunday, September 10, 2006

New (to me) UBS

I managed to make it to a UBS yesterday and found two books that were recommended to me by Cindy (and several others) when I posted my reads from AAR's 100 favorite romances list. This UBS was a new one for me and was a great find. It is about 20-25 minutes away, and is quite large with a nice friendly guy behind the counter. But like a big dummy I forgot my list. Damn. I'll have to get back over there with my list in hand soon.

But I remembered these two:

Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer

For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale

Who knows when I'll get around to reading them.

Bob and I are taking a short vacation, leaving Thursday and coming back on Sunday. When I get back I have to fill in for my boss. Yikes! We shipped our product today *happy dance* so it shouldn't be too tough (I hope). I can't believe they are actually putting me in charge for a week. Whose dumb idea was that?

Reading now: Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas. Pretty good so far, but I don't think I'll love it as much as Devil in Winter. Last night I finished a wonderful old Loveswept category by Glenna McReynolds. Turned out to be a keeper. It qualifies for AngieW's TBR Challenge for September so I'll write up a review for it. I never got around to last month's TBR Challenge because I couldn't get up the energy to read a non-romance. Too busy with work anyway (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

12 comments:

CindyS said...

Hey, I can tell you you have have at least two great books in your TBR pile now ;)

Oh, a nice mini-vacation - you deserve it even though I'm a bit green. And you are in charge next week? Pizza and beer for everybody! ;)

CindyS

~ames~ said...

I bought Morning Glory last week too! It seems like a lot of people recommend it.

I really enjoyed For My Lady's Heart. It made me cry (they were happy tears).

I hope you do enjoy them whenever you get around to them. LOL

Kyahgirl said...

Hi Renee, this is my first time commenting here. I first found you yesterday when I was googling for A Rose at Midnight and it brought your top 20 list up. I have quite a few of the same top 20 but want to check into some of the others.

As for your finds at the UBS? I don't think you'll regret the Spencer one. I haven't read the other Kinsale one.

Enjoy your break!

Anonymous said...

I just bought a second hand copy of Morning Glory on Kristie's and CindyS' recommendation. Hmm ... looks like I need to speed it up the TBR pile.

Nice new look, by the way. ;)

Anonymous said...

ugh. I can't seem to get into Kinsale. I think I attempted this one, but if was a dnf for me.

I can't put my finger on why! I try because she seems to be a HUGE favorite, but I just don't see it.

ReneeW said...

Cindy: Thanks, I'm looking forward to some relaxation but I wish it were longer. Pizza and beer, hmmmm. Well, I hate to admit this but we have pizza and beer here so often I'm getting tired of it. I'm thinking more like ice cream sundaes. :)

Ames: We're thinking alike! Oh, I love a good tearjerker. I'm going to try to get to these two soon.

Kyahgirl: HI! Thanks for stopping by. Wow, I showed up on google? I'm impressing myself. I hope you find some good reads from my list. So, do you have a blog? I think you need one :)

Ag: Looks like we all need to move MG up the TBR pile. It's probably going to be one of those books I'll kick myself for not reading sooner.

Zeek: Yeah, Kinsale is not for everyone. I found she takes some energy to read. The one I have read was very emotional but I enjoyed it. Cindy is my reading guru/twin and I usually like what she recommends.

Tara Marie said...

Good choices. Though Years is still my favorite Spencer, I do thing Morning Glory is more popular. I love Kinsale, but have been reading her for years and years. I didn't think Scandal in Spring was as good as DIW either.

Dev said...

I've only read one Spencer ~ Small Town Girl. I really liked it. I've heard good things about both of your UBS finds, so I hope you enjoy them.

Devil in Winter is still my favorite Wallflower book. Scandal in Spring was good, but not as good as DIW.

Kyahgirl said...

p.s. I do have one :-) but its not really about books...just my life. there is a link on the side of my blogger profile. strangely enough I just did a book meme last week and have been too lazy/busy to post a new one so its still there.

I enjoyed Scandal in Spring. I thought it made a nice conclusion to the set, even though it wasn't as strong as the first couple. The scene where they are endlessly battling on the lawn with that game just cracked me up for some reason. Its the most memorable part of the book. I'm dying to read the gypsy guy's story though :-)

ReneeW said...

Tara: I haven't read Years but I have read Small Town Girl and Family Blessings and liked them both. Almost done with SiS and it's pretty good but not as good as DiW like everyone else has been saying.

Devonna: I'm going try to get to both of these soon, maybe this weekend.

Kyahgirl: Doh! I missed that link. I liked your book meme. I loved that lawn bowling scene and I want Rohan's story too.

Brit Blaise said...

Laura Kinsale always delivers for me...I can't wait to pick this one up.

Brit

EJCrow said...

Hey everyone what about me?! Next time you're in Yakima read The Eye Pocket by E.J.Crow!

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...