Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Cover of Night by Linda Howard

I'm a huge Linda Howard fan and have read everything she has written. Some I have loved (Duncan's Bride, Dream Man, Mackenzie's Mountain, etc.) and a couple I have hated (An Independent Wife (F), Sarah's Child (D)) and the rest have been good reads of some degree or another. So of course, I had to read this latest offering (from the library since the HB version is $25.95 - ouch).


Trail Stop, Idaho, is a tiny isolated town connected to the outside world by a single road. Cate Nightingale is a widow with four-year-old twin boys and still mourns the loss of her husband who died three years earlier. After his death she moved to Trail Stop and bought the local bed-and-breakfast. Calvin Harris is the town handyman who helps Cate with the many problems that seem to plague the old house. Plumbing, carpentry, whatever, he can fix it. Cate thinks "Mr. Harris" is an extremely shy man who never opens his mouth. But Cal is not what he seems. He is a former marine who came to town to visit his former commanding officer. When Cate moved into town, Cal found himself very attracted to her so decided to stay and make his home there. Cate thinks that Cal is just a rather uninteresting man who gets extremely tongue tied around her and blushes uncontrollably whenever she speaks to him. The whole town is aware of Cal's attraction to her for the last three years and tries to throw them together, but Cate is oblivious.

One morning Cate discovers that Jeffrey Layton, one of the B&B guests, has disappeared out the window of his room leaving his personal possessions behind. A few days later Cate and her friend Neenah are held at gunpoint by two men who had checked in as guests. These men demand Cate give them the possessions that Layton left behind. Cal gets the jump on the two villains and ends up kicking their asses and they slink out of town.

But the trouble is just beginning. These thugs come up with plan to hold the entire town hostage until they get Layton's possessions which they believe contains one of those little flash drives (about the size of a pack of gum) with some mob secret files. They blow up the bridge leading to town, cut off their electricity, and start shooting townspeople at random. This part of the plot was rather farfetched and not realistic at all.

Amazon's review uses phrases like "breathless action", "gripping suspense", and "intense romance". Uh, no. Not quite, people. Slight exaggeration here, but it was a good book, just not her best. The first third of the book contained a lot of character setup with antics of her 4 yo twins who were not overly cutesy but acted like real boys. Cate's mother takes them away for a visit to her home so they were out of the way when the action begins. Cal was an unusual hero for Howard. He appeared to be a beta with all his blushes and stammering, but when the gunmen appear his marine training becomes evident and he starts acting more like an alpha male. The suspense was good and interesting and kept me turning the pages. The romance was a bit on the light side but still very good although it developed so quickly over the course of a couple of days. And I enjoyed the secondary romance. Many Linda Howard fans may find CoN rather dull but LH's dull is better than many author's best. She knows how to tell a story well and keeps you turning the pages.

My grade: B-

9 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I've been eyeing this one, but since the reviews have been mixed, I figured I would wait until it comes out in MM. I really do hate this delayed gratifcation with hard cover. And I seem to have this real 'reluctance' about returning books to the library *g*.
The Howard I'm REALLY looking forward to is Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Tara Marie said...

I liked this book more than you did, but then after reading it I realized when it comes to romantic suspense, I like the suspense strong and the romance light.

Anonymous said...

"Many Linda Howard fans may find CoN rather dull but LH's dull is better than many author's best. She knows how to tell a story well and keeps you turning the pages"

Agreed.

I was disappointed by this one, though ...

ReneeW said...

Kristie: yes, wait for MM. $25.95 is ridiculous price for this. Your reluctance to return library books probably stems from the fact you think of your books as your babies, am I right? When you check out a library book just think of it as babysitting :) I'll definitely be reading DDG but To Die For was only an OK read for me, so I hope I like it better.

Tara: I think you hit the nail on the head with this book. If there had been more romance (or more love scenes) I would have given this one a higher grade. I want it all ... a strong suspense and LOTS of romance.

Zeek: Yeah, I think many diehard LH fans are going to be disappointed with this one.

Rosie said...

The best thing about this book for me was Cal. He is so physically self assured and yet tongue tied and shy around Cate.

The whole conflict seemed a little implausible to me, but like you since it was LH...

CindyS said...

I think Howard is another author I am on a break from. Like Tara Marie said, she has headed into more suspense than romance and I'm not there. Ah well. Something could change.

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Rosie: Yes, the plot was definitely unrealistic. Cal was an unusual hero for LH and I liked him too.

Cindy: I doubt you would like this one. Not enough sex :) I'm afraid that LH has lost her spark but I'll keep reading and report back to you. Maybe the next one will be better.

nath said...

Hey Renée :D NIce review. Basically, my problem with this book was really the "realistic" part of it. She could have use another intrigue/suspense and perhaps it would have been better... than taking the whole town hostage ^^; and then, there's Cate quick turn around... oh well, waiting for the next book.

ReneeW said...

Thanks, Nath. I think we are in total agreement on this book.

Wow, I haven't touched my blog in over 6 years and I'm still logged in!  Good thing because I have no idea what my password is.  In ...